The elegant chapel of Panagia Varaba, or Varabessa, is located a few meters away from our hotel. Just 10 minutes from Eleftherios Venizelos and a few minutes from the center of Markopoulo, the route to the chapel is similar to the one for Varaba Country House. The temple, which is considered to be a monument of Byzantine style, is of particular historical significance as according to initial estimates it was placed in the 13th century, but later studies changed this to the 12th century. The chapel of Panagia Varabas is dedicated to the birth of the Virgin Mary (September 8). This is the only day when one can enjoy a full Mass within the temple. On this day our guests can enjoy a special celebration set up inside and outside the area.
The chapel, which has been designated as a listed one, is particularly small. It has external dimensions of 6,50m x 4,65m and has been categorised as a single-aisled and free Cross temple with a dome. Although it has suffered great damage in the past, some frescoes can still be distinguished within it, depicting among others the Crucifixion with highly expressive scenes. It is believed that its toponym name “Varabas” is of Frankish origin, since the region of Attica, around 1204, is known to have had a particular Frankish activity.
Although rituals rarely take place in the chapel due to its classification as a Byzantine monument, it is worth visiting it. Surrounded by vineyards, peanut, fig and olive trees in a rather isolated area of Markopoulo, the church exudes a rare serenity and privacy. For someone who visits our country for the first time it is definitely a first acquaintance with the innumerable churches that will meet scattered in the Greek countryside and islands. However it is definitely a special and unexpected touch that will surely make your stay at the Varaba Country house even more memorable.